Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Scanner Pro Review



Scanner Pro is an app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. It works best with the iPhone because it has a higher quality camera. Scanner Pro allows you to take a picture of a multi-page document and then convert the images into a PDF file. Images can be taken with the camera or imported from the camera roll. When using the camera to capture an image there is an option to have the picture taken when the camera is perfectly still for better image quality.

Scanner Pro allows you to take pictures of multiple pages before saving them to a PDF which speeds up the process of scanning multiple pages. Once you have taken the pictures of the document you can change the contrast and brightness. Scanner Pro can automatically detect the edges of a document but it does do not do as good of a job at detecting edges as other scanner apps such as TurboScan and JotNot.

The app struggles even more if the document is on a light background. The inability of Scanner Pro to consistently detect the edges is a major downside. If Scanner Pro does not recognize the edges of the document automatically you can adjust the edges manually but this takes time and slows down the process considerably. Once you adjust the edges Scanner Pro has great features to manage and share your document. You can send documents by email, iDisk, WebDAV services, Evernote, Google Docs and Dropbox. The app allows you to share you documents over Wi-Fi as well. Another cool feature allows you to password protect the entire app or individual documents. Scanner Pro costs $6.99 in the App Store.


Scanner Pro is a well done app but the problems detecting edges really slows things down. Because of this one problem I would recommend JotNot or TurboScan instead. If Readdle, the maker of the app, fixes the edge detection problem it would be a different story.

Click read more below to view screen shots of Scanner Pro in action.
       




12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a informative post! I just just added this app in my iPhone and its working good for me. It seems to be very useful for many things. Thanks guy. I was really not aware of this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I just purchased and installed the new update. Edge detection is virtually non-existent, even when placing a business card on a black background. Image quality is worse than other apps (i.e. I have mainly been using CamScanner+). Would not recommend this app right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree, there is no edge decection and the image quality is sub par. I think JotNot is a much better app. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post and on the subject of scanners I have a very good review I would like you to check out at http://theultimateproductreview.blogspot.com/2012/12/fujitsu-scansnap-s1500-instant-pdf.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a nice application but it is a little bit heavy.. I tried Bitnit - ver y nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

    My page; tv links

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say thanks for this and your other tools. Have been using RegRipper plugins run with a couple of batch scripts I've cludged together, but nothing as 'clean' as this. Really helpful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to to thank you for this very good read!
    ! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.

    I've got you book marked to check out new things you post…

    Look at my page :: cna training classes

    ReplyDelete